Sunday, February 21, 2010

Just glad to be on the team, Coach.

Today has been a long day, I've been running back and forth and I am ready to sleep and wake up tomorrow for class and work, but I wanted to get some thoughts down before I forget them all.

This morning, I had to be at a work meeting, which always make me quite reflective (3m). Sharing a Sunday morning with people who do not necessarily share the same faith background as I do is always an interesting change of pace. Listening to them speak about our work and how we make a difference in the lives of our customers is kind of cool because in a lot of ways I see what they're saying. We do make a difference in the lives of people we interact with at the store, but at the end of the day, I'm not sure how much of an eternal impact we're making.

And for the record it is only by God's grace that I look to the eternal, because He knows if I were left to my own devices, I wouldn't be able to look past the hour. Let me be clear, I'm not trying to down the people at work. I do think what we do can be quite significant, but I'm just saying I think there are some more meaningful ways to add to someone's life and that makes it hard when it seems like we're making ourselves to be the end all be all. (Seems like.)

But all in all it was a good meeting. It reminds me of why I'm there and of how cool my work can be. Needless to say I'm probably gonna stick around for a lil bit more, especially considering the manageable amount of hours I've been given recently.

After that, I went into the city and had lunch with a couple of good friends. They're all in different places in life, but it was really cool seeing how God is working in them. Being their friends has been quite the ride. I look back on the few years that I've known them and I praise God because I can track the results of His presence in their lives. When we first met it felt like we were children (big kids), but reality is, it has only been a few years and to see such growth is pretty extraordinary. I'm astonished at how God has brought them from point a to point b. I wouldn't have even thought to connect the dots that way, but I can see why/how He did. They're living proof that God's pretty good (aka known as: amazing) at this whole leading people thing. It makes me smile. For real.

Finally, after that I briefly spoke at a gathering at a Boston area university and all I can say is that I am just happy that God has made me how I am. It's so odd to think that speaking about my life can have a sliver of significance in the lives of other people and truth is, short of the Spirit's work, it is meaningless. But that's the beauty; the Spirit works so wonderfully. Tonight it was just shocking how well the two speakers' talks and my testimony aligned. They just flowed really well into one another. Almost like we collaborated, but we didn't. It's my conclusion that God weaved them together for us. Afterwards, a few students came up to me and talked about their lives pretty openly and shared what they struggle with as if I was talking to just them tonight. That has nothing to do with my ability to speak well, but it is about something far greater than me. I hope I never lose sight of how awesome it is that God works through such unimpressive beings, like myself, to do His will.

2 comments:

  1. I'm once again encouraged by your writings, and once again driven to praise Him for the things He's doing in you and through you.

    I'm leaving in 5 days but I'll be keeping you in prayer even after I go (aka known as: I'll really miss you).

    keep it fly :)

    ReplyDelete